Saturday 25 December 2010

Thirty Days of Music Day 15 - A Song That Describes You


So I've just about reached the half way point of this little challenge I've set myself, and it's going ok.  I've had to bend the rules a few times and I've enjoyed writing about some songs more than others.  This time around was a very hard choice - it's so hard to choose a song that describes yourself without being arrogant, pretentious or unnecessarily modest.  A few songs came to mind straight away, including Creep, Charmer, The Fool and Your Protector but most of these seem a bit stupidly comic and blatant.

In the end I went for Devil's Spoke/ Sneh Ko Marg because it is a fusion of English and Asian in the same way that I am of a similar fusion.  This, once again, is a bit of a cop-out but I still wanted to choose a damn good song for this category and so this was the only thing I could come up with.

Devil's Spoke is a great song on it's own - creating a wonderfully dark atmosphere - but when it's combined with the dreamily quick, flowing Indian singing it works brilliantly.  The voices of Laura and the Dharohar Project are absolutely stunning and it's a shame there is only a live version available at the moment because it would be great to hear the polished-up tune.  There is great contrast between Marling's and the other vocals and the Dharohar Project make great use of variations in note length to create a mystical, intangible tone to their music.

Usually I get jealous when great artists go and tour other countries, leaving us English fans neglected, but this song was born from Marling touring India with Mumford and Sons.  If we're going to be gifted with such gems every time she tours another country, then I don't want to see her back in Hampshire for a good few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment