Thursday 16 December 2010

Thirty Days of Music Day 06 - A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere


Sufjan Stevens' new album, The Age of Adz, was released in October during my first term at University.  The first single from the album, I Walked, is unlike most of his work previously, incorporating a more electronic, more synthesised side to his music.  When the album came out, I volunteered to review Adz for the Warwick newspaper, The Boar, and so I spent much of my spare time listening to the album and even did so whilst doing my work.

It's an experimental piece of epic composition that takes Stevens' work in a completely unprecedented direction.  Adz caused a stir amongst hardcore Suffy fans, but there is no question that he has kept up his famously high standards.  I Walked and the whole of the album remind me of Warwick campus - staying up late doing work, going to do the laundry, chilling in the tea shop.  It may seem like these are mundane activities, but it's small things that make the stay at University so much fun and this album is now inextricably linked to my life in Warwick.

If you wan't to see the full album review, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment