Wednesday 22 December 2010

Thirty Days of Music Day 12 - A Song From A Band You Hate


Even though I'm supposed to be choosing a song from a band that I hate, I still wanted to choose a song that I like.  This meant I had to compromise slightly on the hate side of the choice.  It's not so much that I actively hate Smashing Pumpkins, but that I've never really seen their appeal as a band.  I find their style too coarse, and Corrigan's voice grating and unpleasant.  Of course, they're a massive band so they're obviously doing something right - 1979 is the only song by them that gives me a glimpse of what has made them so popular.

It's a much more relaxing attempt by Corrigan and co, with gentle, dreamy guitar and low-key vocals that create a muffled tone.  The chorus ups the energy ever-so-slightly, soaring over the intrumentation, and the guitar builds as the song goes on.  The lyrics reinforce the dreamy nature of the song - they are suggestive of the reminiscence over a past relationship, Corrigan's husky voice singing: 'Justine never knew the rules'.

Considering they've been together since 1988, it's a shame they haven't produced more songs that meet this level of craftmanship.  Then again, maybe it's my fault and they have but I haven't found the hidden gems just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment