Sunday 9 January 2011

Thirty Days of Music Day 30 - Your Favourite Song This Time Last Year


I was a latecomer to the Fleet Foxes bandwagon, but I'm still riding it today.  Their first album was a serious contender for my favourite album of all time - it is one of the most consistently brilliant albums I have ever heard and it pretty much defined the boundaries of indie-folk.  Blue Ridge Mountains is my favourite song of theirs.

Starting off with the characteristic Foxes harmonies, it soon moves onto guitar and wonderfully crafted melody.  Pecknold's vocals are, as usual, understated and upright - the song exploring family relationships and the imagery of nature.  It is at 2:03 when the song hits top gear - breaking into a faster tempo and unleashing the soaring vocals that make the song.  'In the quivering forest/ Where the shivering dog rests' is belted out with great heart.

You need to get their album if you haven't yet.  Because, although this song was my favourite this time last year, it's still right up there on my list this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment