Wednesday 5 January 2011

Thirty Days of Music Day 26 - A Song That You Can Play On An Instrument


Laura Marling's second album, released in January last year, was a costume drama-reminiscent meditation on women's responsibilities, love and loss.  Receiving great critical acclaim across the board, it also reached number three on my list of the top albums of 2010. 

Blackberry Stone, the fourth track off I Speak Because I Can, was the first song that Emma and I did a cover of.  The guitar is rolling, trickling and gentle but maintains a steady tempo and the melody is beautiful, Marling repeating some beautiful lyrics: 'But I couldn't turn my back on the world for what I like wouldn't let me.'.

When we did our cover - me on guitar and Emma singing - I think that we really captured the kind of atmosphere that Marling wrote into the song.  Our recording equipment  wasn't great but when you have such a great song to work with anyway, it's hard to go too wrong.  Hopefully we didn't go too wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment