Sunday 2 January 2011

Thirty Days of Music Day 23 - A Song You Want To Play At Your Wedding


Soul Meets Body is the kind of exploration of love, joy and purity that you would expect to be played at a wedding.  It would be one of the songs I would choose to dance to because it has got a reasonably quick tempo and an accessible beat, but it is also appropriate for the kind of occasion that a marriage is.

The whole song revolves around the unity of two people and the lyrics are touching and romantic:

I cannot guess what we'll discover
When we turn the dirt
With our palms cupped like shovels,
But I know our filthy hands
Can wash one another's
And not one speck will remain
 
The key to the lyrics are the survival of the two characters when they are together; they 'wash one another' and the the narrator describes his partner as 'A melody softly soaring through my atmosphere'.


Such Great Heights, another stunning love song written by Ben Gibbard, is also a perfect choice for a wedding song.  Although not as perfect to dance to as Soul Meets Body, it excels lyrically to an even greater extent than my first choice. 

I am thinking it's a sign
That the freckles in our eyes
Are mirror images and when we kiss
They're perfectly aligned
And I have to speculate
That God himself did make us
Into corresponding shapes
Like puzzle pieces from the clay


It's really such a stunning song both lyrically and melodically - it's clear that Gibbard knows exactly how to write a perfect love song and I haven't even talked about I Will Follow You Into the Dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment